- 1 sixteen-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 sixteen-ounce bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 sixteen-ounce bag fresh baby carrots
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
Veggies and oatmeal may seem like one strange combination! But I promise, this hearty soup is easy to make and one of my most favorite low-calorie recipes. For less than 200 calories, you’ll get plenty of high-quality carbs, fiber, and folate.
- Prep time
- Total Time
In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, onion, broth, and salt (or salt substitute) and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
Add the oatmeal and mix thoroughly. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes longer. With an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender, puree the soup. Serve hot.
Season with plenty of ground black pepper and kosher salt to taste.
Serving Size: 1 cup
IBS sufferers take note: This recipe is only suitable for constipation-predominant IBS.