- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- one 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- two 15-ounce cans no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
You won’t miss the high-fat beef in this hearty, well-seasoned dish, which relies on extra-lean ground turkey and black beans for its thick consistency. Plus, you’ll get a healthy dose of magnesium, folic acid, manganese, and fiber.
- Prep time
- Total Time
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the turkey, stirring to break up the meat. Drain the fat. Add the tomatoes, water, onions, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, cumin, oregano, and red pepper. Mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and corn and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.