RecipeThree Bean Veggie Chili
- Calories: 240
- Protein: 12g
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 41g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Sodium: 320mg
This hearty vegan chili gets a powerful punch of protein and fiber from the beans, making it a tasty and satisfying meal. I like to fire up the flavor a bit with diced jalapenos, but feel free to adjust the heat to your liking.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can( 15 ounces) no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
Coat a large pot with canola oil and warm over medium-high heat. Add onions and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Toss in jalapeños, if desired, and cook 2 minutes.
Add peppers and carrots and cook 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, beans, spices, and water. Stir and cover.
Simmer for 5 minutes, covered. Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The longer you let it simmer, the thicker it gets and the more the flavors come together.)
Feel free to top with a dollop of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of reduced-fat shredded cheddar and/or chopped green onions.
Serving size: 1 cup