- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder (optional)
- 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can no-salt-added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
This hearty vegan chili gets a powerful punch of protein and fiber from the beans, making this a tasty and satisfying meal. I like to kick things up a notch with diced jalapenos for some fiery spice, but feel free to adjust the heat to your liking.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Heat large pot with canola oil to medium-high heat. Add onions and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Toss in jalapeños, if desired, and cook 2 minutes.
Then add peppers and carrots. Cook 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, all 3 varieties of beans, spices, and water. Stir and cover.
Simmer for 5 minutes covered. Then uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Unsure if covered or uncovered matters – I leave it uncovered so that the water evaporates and the chili gets thick. The longer you let it simmer, the thicker it gets and the more the flavors come together – usually takes much better the next day).
Optional toppings/garnishes: Dollop of plain Greek yogurt, sprinkle of cheese, chopped green onion.
Serving Size: 1 cup