RecipeSweet Potato-Cauliflower Mash
- Calories: 110
- Protein: 4g
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 95mg
My low-cal mashed potatoes were created one night when I used leftover cauliflower to beef up mashed sweet potatoes. Clearly, an accident meant to happen — only 110 calories per cup, but loaded with nutrition and fiber!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peel on, cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, large, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, less sodium or vegetable, heated
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream (may substitute nonfat plain greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 stalks scallions (green onions), sliced
1. Steam the sweet potato and cauliflower over 1″ of water until fork tender, about 10 minutes (or soften the vegetables in the microwave).
2. In a large bowl, mash the potato and cauliflower with the broth. Stir in the sour cream, garlic powder, and nutmeg. If the mash needs more liquid, add more broth, 2 tablespoons at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Garnish each serving with scallion.
*Note: For celiac disease, check chicken or vegetable broth and sour cream labels to ensure these products are gluten-free.
Serving size: 1 cup