- 3 large sweet potatoes, peel on, cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, large, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, less sodium or vegetable, heated
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream (may substitute nonfat plain greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 stalks scallions (green onions), sliced
My low-cal mashed potatoes were created one night when I used leftover cauliflower to beef up mashed sweet potatoes. Clearly, an accident meant to happen — only 110 calories per cup, but loaded with nutrition and fiber!
- Prep time
- Total Time
1. Steam the sweet potato and cauliflower over 1" of water until fork tender, about 10 minutes (or soften the vegetables in the microwave).
2. In a large bowl, mash the potato and cauliflower with the broth. Stir in the sour cream, garlic powder, and nutmeg. If the mash needs more liquid, add more broth, 2 tablespoons at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Garnish each serving with scallion.
*Note: For celiac disease, check chicken or vegetable broth and sour cream labels to ensure these products are gluten-free.
Serving size: 1 cup