- 1 cup(s) lentils, green
- 1 tablespoon oil, olive
- 1 medium onion(s), yellow diced
- 1 medium pepper(s), green, bell diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, Kosher
- 1 can(s) tomato sauce (8 oz) preferably no-salt-added
- 1/4 cup(s) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon mustard yellow mustard
- 4 whole roll, 100% whole-wheat or kaiser or sesame, toasted (optional, for serving)
- Prep time
- Total Time
Combine the lentils and 4 cups water in a large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper and sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano and salt. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn off the heat and let the lentil mixture sit for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors can meld (or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait!). Spoon the mixture over toasted buns if desired.
Serving size: 1 cup lentil mixture with 1 bun