- oil spray
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- 1 zucchini squash, grated
- 1 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt, to taste (may use salt substitute)
- ground black pepper, to taste
You won’t miss the high-fat beef in my heart-smart version of meatloaf. It’s got great flavor and health-boosting ingredients — even oatmeal (instead of white bread crumbs), which adds soluble fiber and creates the perfect consistency.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 1-quart loaf pan with oil spray or line with aluminum foil.
In a large bowl, mix the turkey, zucchini, oatmeal, mushrooms, milk, basil, soy sauce, egg whites, garlic, thyme, and oregano and season with salt substitute and pepper.
Press the turkey mixture into the loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the top begins to brown and the center is no longer pink. Serve immediately.
IBS sufferers take note: This recipe is suitable for constipation-predominant IBS and diarrhea-predominant IBS.