- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 packages small button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 nine-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 pounds baby carrots
- 2 yellow summer squash, sliced into wheels
- 3 zucchini squash, sliced into wheels
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into thick slices or chunks
- 8 whole garlic cloves
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Here’s an easy vegetarian supper to add to your meatless meal rotation. The lentils and sweet potato in this cozy soup deliver a double dose of soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol, smooth out blood sugars, and stabilize mood.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Add the broth, mushrooms, spinach, carrots, summer squash, zucchini, sweet potato, garlic, onions, and water to a large pot and bring the liquid to boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. After the soup has simmered for 45 minutes, use a potato masher to mash the vegetables.
Add the lentils to the pot and stir. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes. For thinner soup, continue to cook the soup covered. For thicker soup, remove the cover after adding the lentils.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. (If you like spicy food, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the pot or your bowl.)
Makes 8 servings