- 1/2 cup(s) honey or sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup(s) margarine, trans-fat free soft tub reduced-fat
- 2 egg white(s)
- 1 cup(s) yogurt, fat-free plain
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup(s) flour, teff (see tip below)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1 tablespoon ginger, crystallized chopped
- Prep time
- Total Time
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix the honey or sugar substitute with the margarine. Stir in the egg whites, yogurt, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add the teff flour, baking powder, baking soda, dried ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir until the flour is just incorporated, but do not overmix. Fold in the crystallized ginger.
Fill each muffin liner three-fourths full with batter. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Turn the muffins out on a cooling rack.
Tip: If you have trouble finding teff flour in your local health food store, order it online ; or you can buy teff seeds and grind your own flour using a clean, electric coffee grinder.