- 3/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup wheat germ, toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (omit salt if you have high blood pressure)
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken tenders
Greasy fried chicken tenders get a healthy makeover! I coat them in a wholesome, whole-grain crust (with a touch of cheese for extra flavor) — then bake them in a hot oven so they get ultra-crispy without ever coming close to a deep-fryer.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and liberally coat with oil spray.
In a large bowl stir together the bread crumbs, wheat germ, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper until well combined.
In a small bowl whisk the eggs.
Dip the chicken tenders into the egg. Drip off any excess egg, then place in the breading mixture. Turn the tenders, patting to coat on all sides with the breading. Place the tenders on the baking sheets. Mist the top surface of the chicken tenders with oil spray.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown and crispy and chicken is opaque throughout.
Makes 5 servings
Serving size: 4 to 5 tenders