RecipeChicken Noodle Soup
- Calories: 238
- Protein: 19g
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 675mg
Chicken noodle soup is the perfect “food cure” for a bad winter cold (I’ve got research to prove it!). My take on this comfort food classic uses whole-grain noodles, lean chicken breast, and an extra dose of veggies to boost the nutrition in every bowl.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoon oil, olive
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 3 parsnips peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sprigs thyme (may substitute ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3 cups egg noodles, whole wheat (such as Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
- black ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped (optional)
- 2 quarts broth, chicken, less sodium
- 2 cups chicken breast (cooked) skinless, diced
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, parsnips, and celery and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper (if using) and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Uncover the pot and bring the broth to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and noodles and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 6 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaf, and season with pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley (if using).
Serving Size: 2 cups