- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (or Romano) cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Whether you’re watching your carbs or trying to lose weight, or if you simply love hot, creamy comfort food, this recipe is calling your name. It’s very popular among my clients and 1 serving provides only 78 calories and 9 grams of carbs.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Steam the cauliflower over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Drain. Place the cauliflower in a food processor or blender along with 1⁄2 cup broth. Puree on high until smooth. Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan.
In a cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1⁄4 cup broth, and add to the cauliflower puree. Add the cream cheese, Romano or Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes, until the puree begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 very lean meat, 2 vegetables