- 6 carrot(s) peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced into half-moons
- 6 stalk(s) celery sliced
- 6 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 pounds chicken, ground (99% lean)
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 4 cup(s) vegetable juice, low-sodium or tomato juice
- 1/4 cup(s) hot sauce or more to taste (see Note)
- sour cream, light or fat-free (optional)
- yogurt, nonfat, Greek-style (optional)
- scallion(s) (green onions) (optional)
- Whipped blue cheese topping (optional), recipe below
- Prep time
- Total Time
Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the ground chicken, reapplying oil spray if necessary. Sauté, stirring continuously and breaking the chicken into small pieces, for 5 minutes or until cooked through. As the chicken cooks, continue scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dislodge any large bits
Sprinkle in the chili powder and flour, and stir quickly to distribute them evenly. Immediately add the vegetable juice and hot sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Ladle the chili into serving bowls and serve with desired toppings.
Note: The amount of hot sauce you use will depend on the brand you select as well as your (and your family’s) own personal tolerance for spicy foods. I advise adding ¼ cup hot sauce to start with, then tasting the chili and adding more from there if you find it too mild.
For Whipped Blue Cheese Topping: In a small bowl mash together ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles (at room temperature) and ¼ cup light/nonfat sour cream or nonfat plain Greek yogurt. Dollop on top of chili before serving.
Serves 4. Serving Size: 2¼ cups (without toppings)