- 1/2 cup(s) sugar, granulated or sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup(s) margarine, trans-fat free reduced-fat, soft tub
- 2 egg white(s)
- 3 banana(s) mashed (about 11/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) flour, barley (or oat flour)
- 1/2 cup(s) flax seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Prep time
- Total Time
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix the sugar or sugar substitute and margarine. Add the egg whites, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the banana, water, almond extract, and vanilla. Add the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until the flour is just combined, but do not overmix.
Fill each muffin cup half full with the batter. Bake 13 to 16 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Turn the muffins out on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, the muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or frozen for up to 1 month.
IBS sufferers take note: This recipe is suitable for constipation-predominant IBS and diarrhea-predominant IBS.