- 1 1/2 cup(s) flour, whole-wheat pastry or whole-wheat flour or 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup whole-wheat white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, Kosher
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup(s) applesauce, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup(s) milk, fat-free
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3 egg white(s)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) chocolate chips, dark or semisweet
- Prep time
- Total Time
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, milk, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold the batter until just combined (do not overmix). Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. The muffins can be frozen in a sealed freezer bag for up to 2 months. For best results, freeze muffins immediately after baking and cooling to room temperature.