QUESTION: If I’m stuck eating at the food court while holiday shopping at the mall, what’s the best choice?
—Jen from Massapequa, NY
ANSWER: If you’re truly hungry and you want food (versus “treat” stuff), choose one of these items, each of which is less than 500 calories and provides staying power for holiday shopping:
- Plain burger (lose the top half of the bun) with lettuce, tomato and ketchup at Shake Shack or Johnny Rockets
- Two slices of thin crust pizza with veggie toppers at California Pizza Kitchen
- Large salad with grilled chicken and any lite dressing (most places will have something yummy) at Au Bon Pain
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken or Beef and Broccoli at Panda Express
- Protein Bistro Box at Starbucks
And if you are looking for a treat, dig into a small cup of Fro Yo with 1 tablespoon of sprinkles or fresh fruit on top, or enjoy half of an oversized soft, plain pretzel.
Have a diet or nutrition question you’d like me to answer? Submit here.